Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Fantasies of a foodie - Part One

In winters I have noticed, I always eat more than usual. But that's just an excuse, I always eat more than usual.

Food is one celebration I absolutely look forward to.

Last Sunday, was one of the most perfect days of winter. It was mildly sunny, gently breezy and comfortably cold. I slept through the morning, into the day and when absolutely satiated with sleep, smiling sleep as I call it, I woke to begin my waking day.

The customary exercising, the lovely long hot bath - another cherished fantasy, and onto the dance class.

I always came away happy from dancing. Dancing with the husband especially, is a lovely feeling!

I hadn't eaten a thing, but I was happy. It is very very gratifying when the appetite is built up, when hunger is allowed to grow and then is appeased by glorious food!!! The pleasure is almost sinful. The pleasure of purposeful deprivation.

We landed to lunch at a homely eatery. The seating was outdoors.

The enjoyer of earthly pleasures will appreciate the effect rendered by the outdoors, especially to the forms of recreation I enjoy - Eating, Sleeping, Playing, Walking, Reading, Writing, Shopping; being out under the open sky, in the sun, in the breeze simply multiplied the joy of an event.

Quick service, witty waiter, informal ambiance, hot, homemade, heavenly food. A foodie couldn't have asked for more.

I started with Chaas. The salt was just right, the cumin blended well with it, the buttermilk was not too sour, the flavor of the coriander was subtle, it was slightly tepid to seem refreshing enough on a wintry afternoon, it was perfect. It was gone in no time.

By the time it was finished, the main course was ready to be devoured!

Gobi ka paratha, alu ka paratha, dahi - super creamy, super yummy with rock salt, and aam ka achaar!!

The parathas were just right. The filling was not drowned out in the mass of the flour, you could actually taste the vegetables and the flour was non-interfering, as it should be. The covering was thin, soft and crunchy at the same time, it was the right color of brown, the melted butter and the cooked vegetables mixed in the overdone flour smelt like heaven.

It was a treat to the senses. Sight, smell, touch, taste!

I smacked my lips in glee like a wandering child that had found food after weeks of starvation! My manna!

I had no intentions of refraining to my plate alone. The husband's meal looked worthy of being tasted.

Thin, soft phulkas, hot delicious chholey, sweet and spicey kaddu ki sabzi and the highlight - cucumber ka raita!!

More chomping, more smacking of lips!!

I was comfortably full.

"Sharbat main kya hai bhaiyya?"

" Roohafza."

AAAH! That I had not had in years now!! I had to have Roohafza!

A large glass of lovely dark magenta colored sweet Roohafza was gulped down!!

No meal is complete without the dessert. I wanted the Gulab Jamun, but he had only Gajar ka Halwa. A little disappointed, but very ready for dessert, I welcomed the Gajar ka Halwa.

Made from the authentic red carrots, hot, sticky with caramel, milk and carrot juice, filled with raisins and cashews, it was the answer to my prayers!!!

Rakesh, the waiter couldn't suppress the smile. I am sure he wondered about where all that food went! I am just thankful. As long as it didn't show, I could gorge!!

It wasn't just the quantity of food that day, or its quality alone, but the entirety of the situation that made this meal one of the most memorable ones in recent times!! I was well slept, I had thoroughly enjoyed the long hot bubble bath, the weather was great, I had just danced for an hour and lived my passion, my lover boy was with me, I was hungry enough to eat a horse and I had found great food!

I got home and slept like a bear cub for three hours flat! Woke up to steaming adrak ki chaay and Haldirams instant bhel, the ultimate offering to evening hunger pangs!

Oh! Blissful Sunday!

It was so perfect, I could have just dozed off on a Charpoy right there after that lunch in the sun and shade of that winter afternoon.

One day I will. After all, life is magical only when you live your fantasies.

No comments: